Two important issues...

Jim Benson jb at speed.net
Sat Feb 15 10:43:43 UTC 2003

Dean,

>From what I've seen the last couple of weeks, there are several other
factors in the Traits decision. From what Stephane Ducasse has reiterated a
couple of times, that project requires that they need: (Squeak to)

[quote]
- In all cases we need a stabler Parser, cleaner AST, ClassBuilder, and
BROWSER.
So we will see if we can get some momentum and synergy with SqScript, in
such a case
we will see if we use SmaCC, redo ClassBuilder. Else we may end up moving to
another Smalltalk.
[/quote]

Don't know about you, but I've never seen a tree those things grow on. We've
seen the part about Ducasse threatening to switch to another Smalltalk a
couple of times if somehow Squeak doesn't comply. [We both know it cannot;
the above are cross purpose with the current 'rip the image apart' stuff
going on which will probably take several months. It would not make sense to
rip the image apart and introduce potentially unstable underpinnings both at
the same time. Unless I miss my guess, the introduction of new code into the
image other than bug fixes or relatively simple reorgs will probably not
happen in the near future]

>From the tone of the emails, it has sounded like someone has been holding
these things back, keeping these prerequisites for the Traits project from
being available to Squeak. I haven't been following this thread very
closely, but I would like to know who is responsible for keeping this code
away from us. I don't recall seeing the new browser that Ducasse submitted
for inclusion, is someone hiding it from me?

Thanks,

Jim

PS: I didn't realize my AST was dirty, or that I needed to clean it, but
hey, that's me.

----- Original Message ----- t