Mutable Points/Rects in Morphic

Eddie Cottongim cottonsqueak at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 15 19:29:32 UTC 2003

Presumably, even if your morphs are less complex, you'll get the same GC
freezing, just left often. I decided to try this out, and its not true.

A mine game of 15x10 (150 tiles) or more will exibit the freezing problem.

A mine game of 15x9 (135 tiles) or less does not exibit the freezing
problem.

I don't claim to be a GC expert, but my guess is that the incremental GCs
are able to keep up with the garbage production up to some threshold. Past
that, occasional full GCs are needed to catch up.

So maybe if this is a problem for your application, you can make the
incremental GCer a bit more aggressive? That would sweep the problem under
the rug, for now. I still think the way we are using rectangles and points
isn't very efficient, with around 40% of the time while dragging spent
creating points and rectangles. But it has been good enough up to now, and
no one else is complaining much.

Eddie