Implemeting a memory OO database in Squeak (was Re: port of prevayler)

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Sun Feb 16 20:23:52 UTC 2003

Hi Frank
Frank Sergeant <frank at canyon-medical.com> wrote:
> Marco Paga <mail at marco-paga.de> wrote:
> > Is anybody out there who wants to port prevyler to squeak? I have a
> > version aviable, but that one is badly designed. You can't extend it in
> > any way.
> > So the next version NEEDS to be better.
> > If you are interested please let me know.
>
> How is your implementation licensed?  From the heading of your 13 Oct
> 2002 changeset, it looks like you are using GPL.  If so, I think this is
> a terrible idea.  If it is something for Squeak, why not use Squeak-L or
> something even more permissive?  Is your implementation derived from the
> actual Prevayler code (which is LGPL)?  I do not see how I can use GPL
> or LPGL.

Marco is planning to rewrite the whole thing. He likes to do it
test-driven
and is looking for somebody to work with him. (SUnit !)

As prevalyer is written in Java and Marco is writing it in Squeak there
is no need to
choose GPL and LPGL for the Squeak version.
It is the code of Prevalyer in Java which is GPL licensed, not the
ideas.
The ideas are straightforward and generally known. You may use them in
any
context and write software and put the software under any license you
like.

Regards
Hannes Hirzel

P.S. There are already some OO and non OO database efforts for Squeak
see http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/512 - Databases and Persistence

- File Dictionary
- MinneStore
- GemSqueak
- Kats
- MySQL
- PostgreSQL
- GOODS
- ODBC
- SQLite
- SIXX - Smalltalk object XML serializer/deserializer
- BerkeleyDB Plugin
- Magma
- Glorp
- Tantalus
- SPrevayler

Did somebody do an evaluation of the concepts / quality of these
implementations?
If yes, please post remarks there.