End-user accessing Squeak "program" from a VT220 terminal?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Feb 17 12:18:22 UTC 2003

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 08:59:46AM -0800, Ned Konz wrote:

> * Ian's VT* emulators and TelnetMachine (can be used to interpret
> cursor motions, and maintain a character map)
> * the SerialPort (which, alas, must be polled (anyone up for making a
> blocking SerialPort implementation using the async file support?)

Yes, I am. Unix only so far.  Hopefully there will be some equivalent
mechanism for non-Unix platforms too.

Ian's "aio" events can be hooked up to Smalltalk semaphores such that
a data available event on a file, socket, or pipe will signal the
Semaphore in Squeak. The primitives are in UnixOSProcessPlugin
(http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/3000.html) and are included in
Ian's most recent VM release.  It works very well, and should do
fine for /dev/ttXXX also (although I have not actually tried a
hardware serial port).

Supporting code on the Squeak side has not been released yet, but
if anyone desperately needs an advance copy, send me email.

Dave