Networking from NT service

Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com
Mon Feb 17 17:27:31 UTC 2003

In Windows programming you typically attach an external debugger to your
service to see whats going on. Such an external debugger is beside debugging
your service also able to catch trace message sent by the debugged
application.
The debugged application can send these trace messages using the
OutputDebugString() API (from Kernel32.dll).

These simple outputs on the native Windows NT debug stream are also usefull
for tracing and debugging Smalltalk/Squeak application startup
or Smalltalk headless applications, especially when you implement a
service.

The trace messages can be viewed either with an external debugger or
the system debugger attached to the Squeak virtual machine process. (a very
small and handy tool to use is the debug monitor dbmon.exe (9kB) from the
Microsoft Windows Platform SDK).

You could download and install the free Platform SDK for your platform
from the MSDN website and use the attached squeak code to do be able to
write on the NT debug stream.

Have fun,
Torsten

Note: use it with care since it only works on Windows and it should
      also be used in debug builds of your applications.