Simple Socket Question?

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Tue Feb 18 03:41:09 UTC 2003

Avi Bryant wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>I'm trying to test the performance of Squeak for very simple http serving.
>>
>>The test I want to perform is Squeak answering a simple request like
>>http://localhost:8000/test
>>with nothing more than a simple string like 'Hello World!'.
>>
>>I want it as basic, low overhead (as fast) as possible.
>

> If you have Comanche loaded (and thus its ConnectionHandler class), I
> think this is minimal:
>
> |output listener|
> output _ 'HTTP/1.0 200 OK\Content-Type: text/html\\Hello World' withCRs withInternetLineEndings.
> listener _ ConnectionHandler
> 	      onPort: 8000
> 	      handler: [:s | s getData; sendData: output; closeAndDestroy]
> 	      priority: Processor highIOPriority.
> listener start.
>

> On my system (1.4Ghz Athlon), ab gives me this:
>
> Concurrency Level:      5
> Time taken for tests:   0.480 seconds
> Complete requests:      1000
> Failed requests:        0
> Broken pipe errors:     0
> Total transferred:      55000 bytes
> HTML transferred:       11000 bytes
> Requests per second:    2083.33 [#/sec] (mean)
> Time per request:       2.40 [ms] (mean)
> Time per request:       0.48 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
> Transfer rate:          114.58 [Kbytes/sec] received

Thanks Avi.

I tried it on my 700mhz Athlon Debian machine.

I got between 530 and 680 with -n1000.
I got up to 852 with -n10000.
I also crashed the server with -n10000. :)

With Comanche I got a variety of results.

With StaticFileModule about 65rps.
With HelloWorldModule up to 266rps with -n10000.

Just trying to get an idea of what Squeak can do webservingwise.

I wonder if Ian's new VM code will improve socket performance?
J5?
This is on a 3.5a image with his latest stable VM.

Once again thanks.

Jimmie Houchin