Transcript stream getting hung -djb

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Feb 18 21:05:24 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 12:02 pm, Derek Brans wrote:

> Sometimes my image gets into a state where a process will hang
> whenever it tries to write to the Transcript stream.

First, you shouldn't be writing to the Transcript from background
processes. Despite the (ill-advised, I think) semaphore that was
added to TranscriptStream, the Transcript should only be run in the
UI thread.

You can do this, though:

WorldState addDeferredUIMessage: [ Transcript nextPutAll: whatever ].

Try changing this (of course, you should factor it into a log: method)
and see if it doesn't help.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com