Precision : Squeak-L Art 6. Export Administration Regulation

Samir Saidani saidani at info.unicaen.fr
Wed Feb 19 19:49:57 UTC 2003

Alan Kay <Alan.Kay at squeakland.org> writes:

> An important point to ponder is the difference between export and
> import and just what this means given the Internet....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan

Hello

this piece of text could answer to this point (ref:
http://w3.access.gpo.gov/bis/ear/txt/734.txt) :

Part 734 -- Scope of the Export Administration Regulations
Scope of the Export Administration Regulations Part 734-page
Export Administration Regulations  June 6, 2002

§734.1
(1) Definition of export. "Export" means an actual shipment or
transmission of items subject to the EAR out of the United
States, or release of technology or software subject to the EAR
to a foreign national in the United States, as described in
paragraph (b)(2)(ii) of this section. See para graph (b)(9) of
this section for the definition that applies to exports of
encryption source code and object code software subject to the
EAR.

(2) Export of technology or software.  (See paragraph (b)(9) for
provisions that apply to en cryption source code and object code
software.)  "Export" of technology or software, excluding
encryption software subject to "EI" controls, includes:

           (i)  Any release of technology or software sub ject to
           the EAR in a foreign country; or

           (ii)  Any release of technology or source code subject to
           the EAR to a foreign national.  Such release is deemed to
           be an export to the home country or countries of the
           foreign national.  This deemed export rule does not apply
           to persons lawfully admitted for permanent residence in
           the United States and does not apply to persons who are
           protected individuals under the Immigration and
           Naturalization Act (8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)).  Note that the
           release of any item to any party with knowledge a
           violation is about to occur is prohib ited by §736.2(b)
           (10) of the EAR.