OS level Trash Can

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at rogers.com
Thu Feb 20 21:44:37 UTC 2003

Ned Konz wrote:

> On Thursday 20 February 2003 11:48 am, Aaron J Reichow wrote:
>
> > In NT, 2000, and XP, the Recycled stuff would likely be stashed in
> > your user folder- \Documents and Settings\user, &c.  I looked, but
> > cuoldn't find.
>
> I believe it keeps an index, which would make merely moving files into
> that directory useless.

    It's under root\Recycler\SID for each hard drive root.
    SID is the Security ID for each user.

    To see these directories, set this flag:

 'Explorer/Tool Folder/Options/View/Files and Folder/Show hidden files and
folders'

> You have to use the API, I believe. Don't ask me which one.

    You can get a zip file with some information extracted from MSDN
    and a sample Recycler.exe with source:

        http://members.rogers.com/phiho.hoang/Recycler.zip

    Cheers,

    PhiHo.

    P.S: BTW, this is for Windows. I don't know if it also works for
    'windoze' (is it an open source clone of Windows ;-)