Taking control of parts of Squeak

Roel Wuyts roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Feb 21 16:44:00 UTC 2003

I wanted to make sure that I could properly explain our opinion,
because I know and understand that these kinds of mails can be touchy.
The problem is that it is very hard for us to convey exactly what we
mean without hurting anybody. Therefore I send it to some people first
and not to the list. Please don't feel passed by; it is not the
intention. Now I already have to start apologizing because my English
is not good enough to properly express what I want to say...

On Friday, February 21, 2003, at 05:06 PM, Martin Wirblat wrote:

>> Hi Roel and you all down there in Bern!
>>
>> Roel Wuyts <roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
>>> Hi Goran,
>>> before mentioning anything on the list I'd like to discuss some views
>>> we have here on how the decentralization of responsibility of Squeak
>>> could be done.
>>> - all changes to the part that you are responsible for, can only be
>>> approved by you.
>>
>> Yes, that is the idea with responsibility! :-)
>
> Not a good idea for the core release. For everyone who had problems
> with
> the way Squeak Central behaved ( I read something like 'dictatorship'
> on this
> list ), this will be an even worse repetition of the past. Imagine
> that there
> is someone on the 'approval-trigger' who has a 'special' opinion of
> how things
> have to go, or who is more and more considered by the community of
> being not
> able to make the right decisions.

But now Squeak is an airplane (a fast, fancy one) without a pilot.
Everybody suffers from this. So as a community something has to be put
in place, or the whole community will implode. It is because we do not
really want this to happen, we try to come up with a decentralized
alternative.

> How to change it and even how to say it?
>
> IMHO this is not 'community'. I would like to add that mails regarding
> this
> should be sent to the main list and not privately.

See above.

> regards,
> Martin

Roel Wuyts                                                   Software
Composition Group
roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch                       University of Bern,
Switzerland
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~wuyts/