Squeak Stewards (Was: RE: [Squeakfoundation]Re: Taking control of parts of Squeak )

Brent Vukmer bvukmer at blackboard.com
Fri Feb 21 16:57:43 UTC 2003

A quick note:

First, thank you to the Traits group for considering whether they might take on the responsibility of managing part of Squeak.  I read your email as an offer of service and "taking control" as meaning "take responsibility for/manage".  I hope that you do take on this role for this part of Squeak.  Create a path for other folks to follow!

We already have some folks in the community serving us as Guides -- that's been pretty well discussed and seems to be shaping up well.  However as Goran and others have been saying, we *need* maintainers/owners/managers for the various packages in Squeak.  I think that the (slightly-archaic) term "Steward" describes this role well.  A Steward doesn't necessarily *own* a package but does have *responsibility* for reviewing/including/releasing updates to a package.
This is a critical role.

I am sure that for packages that are part of the Squeak kernel, that Stewards will work with the Guides, the Harvesting team, and the rest of the community.