[DOCS] SUnit tests (was Re: Documentation [was: Morphic tutorial])

John W. Sarkela sarkela at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 21 21:33:37 UTC 2003

On Friday, February 21, 2003, at 12:35 PM, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
[...]
>> YES YES YES. This is perhaps the most hotly misunderstood
>> aspect of the ANSI standard. It is a non-reflective declaration
>> powerful enough to describe a fully reflective runtime program.
>>
>> Most users of VSE never realized that they were revisioning
>> non-reflective declarations of very reflective programs.
>
> Could you please elaborate this a bit or send a pointer
> to a paper which gives more details.

The first initiation for me was the 1998 OOPSLA in San Diego
in which Allen Wirfs-Brock and Brian Wilkerson wrote a paper
with a title very much like "Modular Smalltalk".

Allen has expounded on this topic and there used to be a set
of slides at www.instantiations.com. Try looking for publications at
that site. Also look for Allen's postings on this list.

I'll try to find time this weekend to put together some of my thoughts
on the topic. Lots of interesting stuff was going on at Digitalk just
prior to the merger with ParcPlace.

The distinction between the declaration of a program and its
runtime incarnation as a wildly reflective system is really very subtle.

Cheers,
:-}> John