Taking Responsibility Was Re: Taking control of parts of Squeak

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Feb 22 08:25:06 UTC 2003

Hi tim

I lost your preceeding email and I completely agree. I think that any
process or changes needs
external reviewers. Taking responsibility of something is a "big"
effort in terms of quality, documentation, testing. So it should also
be open to critic reviews....We did not decided yet if and how we will
proceed but what is really important is that if somebody else want to
take responsibility of the kernel and work with us to include the
fixes, tell us, alternatively anybody interested in fixing the
classBuilder, and the Behavior/Class.... core is welcome.

I do not want that people believe that we do that for power/fun,
because we coudl to the same without thinking to give it back to Squeak
or changing Smalltalks. For us this will be an effort and certainly
slow us down.

The point raised by Roel was not to spend time to help and seen the
changes just discarded by lack of resources by the harvesters, and the
best way to make squeak survive to the after SqueakC period is having a
good process with tests and kind of owenership (based on agreement
and external review!!!!!). After spending days looking at the old
modules system I can tell you that I would have vote against its final
inclusion for understandibility reason. So this means that we should
think in terms of a process that ensures: speed, quality, and changes.

Note that I do not like the "taking control" metaphor, because I ssee
that more as a hard work
than a powering situation. I prefer taking responsibility.

Stef

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch)
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/