Squeak Stewards (Was: RE: [Squeakfoundation]Re: Takingcontrolof

diegogomezdeck at consultar.com diegogomezdeck at consultar.com
Sat Feb 22 11:32:16 UTC 2003

Stef, Hannes and list:

> Hi diego and other cleaners
>
> The process sounds really interesting. We were thinking about the same
>  process with tests on a web page.

It's comfortable to hear it! thanks.

> Just a suggestions, have you thought of writing tests that check that
> the methods you remove will not magically reappear later without been
> an implicit act.
> I think that this is an important design decision to remove a method,
> so we should be able to
> automatically detect when such method is reintroduced (by another
> changeset).

We have a set of tests (using some stuff from the refactoring browser) that
check for this.  Our idea is to produce 2 sets of tests:

1) Set of test that CAN be included in the core. Without dependencies to
external tools (like RB).  Clear enough to be used as documentation.
2) Set of test that CAN'T be included in the core. These tests use some
stuff from, for example, RB and check for inclusion of already removed
things.

> Stef
>
> Roel and nathanael have a look at the page:

Thank you very much! Feel free to modify the swiki page with
ideas/comments/requests/etc. (Don't forget to say WHO made the
suggestion).  The url is http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3005 (the other
link is a mirror made by Markus)

>> I like what you say, Daniel. We will have the same questions with the
>> inclusion of the Morph Cleaning Projects (MCP) efforts, which
>> I value very much. In the time the Berne group has been
>> talking MCP happily has produced an astonishing result.
>> See:
>> http://www.ira.uka.de/~marcus/swiki/minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/
>> 3005.html
>> Morph Cleaning Project Homepage.

Now we're in a first step to clean the "easy things" (most of them are
warning from SLint rules and other warnings from our new set of SLint
rules).  After we finish the first step, we'll consider to make "big"
refactoring.

Cheers,

Diego Gomez Deck