SqueadBSD license

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Sat Feb 22 16:38:13 UTC 2003

Another thought regarding the BSD license and Apple.

 From my understanding Apple is currently the beneficiary and consumer
of  BSD software. OS X core, Darwin, is based on BSD software.

Apple is going to be very familiar with protections available via BSD
license. And since Apple, to my understanding, does not have any
proprietary, intellectual knowledge, patents, etc... in Squeak to
protect, the BSD license shouldn't be a problem.

 From their FAQ: http://developer.apple.com/darwin/ps-faq.html
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Q. How did you come up with the Apple Public Source License (APSL)?

First, we studied several of the open and community source models that
currently exist, including the Free Software Foundation's General Public
License (GPL), BSD license, Apache license, Netscape and Mozilla Public
Licenses, and Sun's Community Source License. Drawing from those
examples, we drafted the APSL in an effort to promote open source
development of our software while at the same time allowing Apple to
reasonably protect our intellectual property and meet our business
goals. We are grateful for the many community members who put
significant time and effort into helping us revise the APSL to create
version 1.2.

Hopefully this would be doable.

Jimmie Houchin