Relationship between Morphs

Germán S. Arduino garduino at hotpop.com
Sun Feb 23 19:51:42 UTC 2003

Thanks Ned by your response.

I will continue trying!.

Regards.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ned Konz" <ned at bike-nomad.com>
To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2003 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: Relationship between Morphs

On Sunday 23 February 2003 04:25 am, Germán S. Arduino wrote:

> I don't know if these are that I need (I've tried and can't to be
> works), but I wants to show text in the scrolling text in agreement
> to the pressed button (Each button have an associated script).
>
> From these scripts I don't figure out how to reference the srolling
> text and put the desired content and other properties.

If you're using eToys, you can get a halo on the innermost
"TextMorphForEditView" in the scrolling text and set its characters
from a script.

You can set its characters in a script triggered by the buttons (see
its viewer vocabulary category called "text", which it shares with
other TextMorphs).

> In general this is the big problem that I'm seeing in my learning
> of morphs. To better say, if I must to build code to show and work
> with morphs, is very difficult to make all things "with hands",
> including size, position, colors, etc.

Yes. Someone should make a reference listing the various things you
can do "by hand" from the halos and menus and how to do them in your
code. Making things directly is a good way to try out appearances and
simple behaviors, but if you want code, then you have to use an
inspector or write a program to spit out the appropriate
constructors. There is the beginning of a system for doing this (see
Morph>>constructorString) but it doesn't work properly, and hasn't
been updated.

> If I use the "visual tools" and make the things "a la visual", then
> I can't to extract the code that I need to use after in my own code
> and build the visual (morph) ui of my project.

If you're using eToys, that's the case. However, you can save what you
built to disk and make a Morph from it quickly.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com