[FIX] #union: broken for sets

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon Feb 24 03:48:51 UTC 2003

Daniel Vainsencher <danielv at netvision.net.il> wrote:
	I wonder if #union:  of Bags should use Set semantics or Bag
	semantics.

This has been discussed before.
In fact, I recall raising the issue myself quite some time ago.

	Currently, and with your suggestion -
	#(1 2 1) asBag union: #(1 2) asBag -> a Set(1 2)

which is precisely what it is documented as doing.  I would personally
_prefer_ it to return a Bag, but I can't call it a bug when a method
delivers the result its documentation says it delivers, without any
nasty side effects.

	It would be more meaningful, and one can always convert to Sets
	first to get the usual functionality.

Well, you can always write

    (aCollection copy asBag) addAll: anotherCollection; yourself

if you want bag union.  Or even

    (aCollection asArray , anotherCollection asArray) asBag

More importantly, if #union: were changed in this way, #intersection:
and #difference: should also be changed.

To be really honest, I think #union:, #intersection:, and #difference:
belong in Set (and its subclasses), not Collection.  How often do you
want to compute the union of a Dictionary and a SortedCollection?

But what Bag>>union: does and whether #union: should be in Collection
at all are design issues that deserve wider debate and probably can't
be changed without breaking someone's code.  We don't have to settle
such matters before fixing an obvious bug.