meta-programming

John W. Sarkela sarkela at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 24 13:12:52 UTC 2003

Hello,

I first encountered the term meta-programming in a paper by John Lilly
entitled, "Programming and meta-programming the human biocomputer."
That was a paper about the self taking control of the means of
interpretation of reality.

The prefix meta- when applied to a field of study usually refers to
a new but related discipline designed to deal critically with the
original one.

Thus in the Smalltalk image we find Class and Metaclass.
A class is responsible for describing the structure and
behavior of related instances. A metaclass is responsible
for describing the structure and behavior of a class.

So from this we might infer that metaprogramming is in some
sense a transcendent activitiy. It is the programming of the
means of programming. Look through past OOPSLA proceedings.
I recall an excellent paper by Gregor Kiczales et. al. on the topic.

:-}> John