Adding Accufonts to the update stream (was Re: LicencesQuestion : Squeak-L Art 6.)

Edmund Ronald eronald at cmapx.polytechnique.fr
Mon Feb 24 14:39:45 UTC 2003

Wouldn't about now be a nicee time to have full native Unicode support in
Squeak? I looked at the Nihongo Squeak port at one time for some
lexicography work, but the character processing routines were fearfully
slow, and the author told me this was an unavoidable side-effect of their
being written in Squeak rather than at some lower level ...

Of course, I am still a newbie, but having native Unicode might make
text-processing, searching, language parsing and web serving a more easy
proposition for people in multi-byte character environments. Assuming, of
course that president Bush allows people in other countries to stay alive
long enough for another version of Squeak to come out :(

Edmund