Adding Accufonts to the update stream (was Re: LicencesQuestion : Squeak-L Art 6.)

Jack Johnson fragment at nas.com
Mon Feb 24 16:50:17 UTC 2003

Edmund Ronald wrote:
> Wouldn't about now be a nicee time to have full native Unicode support in
> Squeak? I looked at the Nihongo Squeak port at one time for some
> lexicography work, but the character processing routines were fearfully
> slow, and the author told me this was an unavoidable side-effect of their
> being written in Squeak rather than at some lower level ...

It might be worthwhile to look at some of the text processing code from
Plan 9 ( http://plan9.bell-labs.com/ ).  They've been doing Unicode text
processing with standard Unix tools since before most people knew what
Unicode was (though, admittedly, entirely in C).

> Of course, I am still a newbie, but having native Unicode might make
> text-processing, searching, language parsing and web serving a more easy
> proposition for people in multi-byte character environments. Assuming, of
> course that president Bush allows people in other countries to stay alive
> long enough for another version of Squeak to come out :(

It's part of Microsoft's Extended Embrace and Extend plan:  Digital
Rights Enforcement and Standards Creation combined.  Bush is just
helping them simplify their product line to boost the economy (in
exchange for the backdoor in Al Qaeda's IIS-powered Web servers).

-Jack