[DOCS] Re: VM making swiki doc could do with updating

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Mon Feb 24 22:12:36 UTC 2003

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
> There's a lot of confused stuff on the sawiki about building VMs that
> predates the mainlining of VMMaker etc. Does anyone feel like cleaning
> it up?

Yes we from the documentation team feel like cleaning up ....

> I would, but I'm kinda busy right now. Not to mention that it
> would be better if somebody less involved in the creation of the related
> systems did it so that there is less chance of assuming too much a
> priori knowledge on the part of the reader.
>
> At the very least it would be nice to trim back the sprawling tangle of
> pages and links a bit.
>
> tim

Actually an entry point in the VM world we have recently been working on
is
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1447  The Squeak Virtual Machine

>From there you reach
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2105   VMMaker

There are many entry point into the documentation and there are over
3000 pages.

Could you post some example entry links to pages which are in particular
outdated.

To remember: If you change the text string of a title of a page from
let's say

		My title

		My title (outdated)
or
		My title (obsolete)

all the links in the Swiki will have the new text string. So if a whole
page
is outdated this is an easy way to deal with the problem without
actually deleting the
content.

And I think many of the old notes may be just deleted. At the moment
tend to
be on the conservative side, i.e. if in doubt we do not delete things.

Hannes

P.S. And thank you Tim for updating VM pages on the squeak foundation
wiki.