[Bug][3.4gammaOne] Adding an instance var to ClassDescription does not work

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Tue Feb 25 08:10:58 UTC 2003

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Ned,
>
> > I ran the test case in MVC, from a Workspace. It did
> > complete, after I proceeded once.
> >
> > When I went to examine classes, etc. later, though, I got a walkback.
> > Perhaps this will offer a clue:
>
> Not really. All it tells us is that there's a problem but the stack is
> nowhere deep enough to actually see it (it looks as if it's truncated just
> where it gets interesting).
>
> If anyone wants to look into this issue and has a couple of hours to spare
> (or alternatively a _really_ small throw-away image) it would be interesting
> to see where exactly it breaks. E.g., try to figure out where the "lowest
> class" in the meta class hierarchy is that makes the problem happen. Since
> it doesn't work for ClassDescription, can you add an iVar to Class?! To
> Metaclass?! Both?! Any of its subclasses (such as ProtoObject class, Object
> class, Behavior class, etc. all the way along the Metaclass hierarchy)?! I
> have the suspicion that there's some singular point where it breaks down and
> it would be helpful if the problem could be pin-pointed more exactly.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

I just tested

	Class addInstVarName: 'myAdditionalInstVar'.

in a 3.4gammaOne image. It works.

So the next thing somebody could try is to evaluate
	Metaclass addInstVarName: 'myAdditionalInstVar'.

If no obvious error comes up try looking at classes and methods in the
SystemBrowser. Especially at Metaclass to see the variable is there.

in a workspace of fresh 3.4gammaOne image and report the result to the
list.
(something for arm-chair squeakers and others -  you can do this for
example during a lunch break; it takes about 10 .. 15 minutes to
recompile)

Hannes