Adding Accufonts to the update stream (was Re: LicencesQuestion : Squeak-L Art 6.)

tblanchard at mac.com tblanchard at mac.com
Tue Feb 25 10:30:18 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, February 25, 2003, at 02:22  AM, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> One problem with moving to ISO-8859-1 is that you lose several pleasant
> characters that are useful for writing English, notably left and right
> single and double quotation marks and a couple of dashes.

These characters are not at all pleasant unless you happen to run
Windows.

The show up as garbage on more web pages and produce parsing errors in
many programs including XML and C parsers.

They are not pleasant at all.

That said - the ISO-8859-X line of character encodings is rightfully
considered to be a family of legacy encodings.  What would be ideal
would be to support UTF-8 in the file system and whatever we like
internally.  UTF-8 has the nice property of being binary compatible
with most things that deal with ascii.

FWIW, if we are looking for a library to take on internationalization -
may I recommend IBM's International Components for Unicode - open
source library.  There is a C library and an equivalent Java lib.  This
is the source of Java's internationalization capabilities BTW.

http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/

-Todd Blanchard