[Traits] questions/comments

German Morales germanmorales at delta-sys.com
Tue Feb 25 13:48:07 UTC 2003

Hi everybody, specially traits people at Bern,

I'm reading the very interesting Traits papers, and although I haven't
finished reading, I can't resist to ask some questions and give some
comments:

-I see how the conflict resolution is applied for provided methods, but
not for required methods. The same aliases mechanism is applied?

-I don't completely like the Substraction mechanism (TDrawing - {#hash}).
It seems to me that it leads to the same problem described in "Fragile
hierarchies". For example, in the example of Circle composed with TCircle
and TDrawing - {#hash, #= and #~=}, if later TEquality adds a new method
#?=, Circle will have a conflict.
Perhaps instead of:
 Circle = TCircle + (TDrawing - {#hash, #= and #~=})
I would prefer:
 Circle = TCircle + (TDrawing - TEquality)
???

-a final small comment: I like what I'm reading.

That's all for the time being. I'll try to finish reading the papers.
I mean, if you want to answer "that is explained later in the other
paper!!!", feel free to do it ;-)

Regards,

German Morales