Adding Accufonts to the update stream (was Re: LicencesQuestion : Squeak-L Art 6.)

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Thu Feb 27 02:29:50 UTC 2003

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> asked:
	Still, I can't resist that question:
	> If you want to know why Tengwar _will_ be covered and Klingon
	> _won't_, that's they place to look.)

	I couldn't find the paper - do you have a reference?! I'm
	_really_ curious how Tengwar could end up in Unicode ;-)

Unicode Technical Note 4, "Leaks in the Unicode Pipeline".
<url:http://www.unicode.org/notes/tn4/>

The argument is that while there is a Klingon script,
the people who use the Klingon language (and there are enough of them
to count, apparently) prefer the ASCII representation of Klingon.
So Klingon's out.
But apparently there is also enough of a community of people using
Tolkien's Tengwar (and Cirth) scripts, for a variety of languages,
that the scripts warrant inclusion.

Here's the actual text:
    Tengwar and Cirth, two scripts created by J. R. R. Tolkien--one of
    the most influential writers of the twentieth century--to represent
    the languages he created for use in his literary universe,
    <em>are</em> considered to be candidates for encoding, because
    scholars and enthusiasts study both his published words and his
    manuscripts, create new texts in these scripts both in his invented
    languages and in modern languages, and have expressed an interest
    in making use of a standard for interchanging data written with them.

I shudder to think what will happen if they ever hear about the
"angelic" scripts used in Renaissance magic...  I do hope that the
number of books discussing the Voynich Manuscript is small enough that
we don't see the "Voynich script" coming in.

On the other hand, there _are_ people in this country who write about
the Rongorongo script, complete with its "penis" diacritic...