Adventures in Plugging In

Brian Brown rbb at techgame.net
Thu Feb 27 05:28:32 UTC 2003

Greetings!

I am attempting to understand the Plugin layer and am working through the
tutorial at: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/464

Everything in the tutorial was going great until it instructed to "execute the
following:"

FooPlugin translateDoInlining: true

That produces a traceback (walkback? What do we call these in Squeak?) and the
closest message I can find in the InterpreterPlugin class is
translate:doInlining... so I tried to use that. I cannot for the life of me
figure out what the first paramter to this message is supposed to be. It is
used in the following line:

    storeCodeOnFile: (t1 fullNameFor: t4)

storeCodeOnFile is expecting a filename, which fullNameFor: would produce, as
t4 is (in this case) 'Foo.c'.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, or educate me in other ways to find out
what I should be doing? I used hierarchy button to find all the superclass info
as well as implementors to see info for a particular method.

One caveat... I come from a mostly structured programming background, with way
to much web application programming thrown in, so not only am I trying to
understand squeak, I'm trying to "re-initialize" my brain for Object-Oriented
thought... It's giving me a migraine. But I like migraine's, so it's a Good
Thing (tm)

(I am thinking of sueing the university I went to that had the gall to give me
a computer science degree and barely mentioned SmallTalk and the contributions
that project at Xerox-Parc made to the things I use everyday... I feel cheated
=)

Thanks!

Brian

--