Adventures in Plugging In

Brian Brown rbb at techgame.net
Thu Feb 27 15:54:27 UTC 2003

Quoting Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu>:

 > Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
 >
 > > On Wednesday 26 February 2003 09:28 pm, Brian Brown wrote:
 > >
 > > > I am attempting to understand the Plugin layer and am working
 > > > through the tutorial at: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/464
 > [snip]
 > > Either use the VMMaker tool (recommended!), or do this:
 > >
 > > FooPlugin translateInDirectory: FileDirectory default doInlining:
 > > true.
 > I'd recommend using the VMMaker or VMMakerTool when possible because it
 > will put things in the 'right' place (for some definition of 'right')
 > and you can easily do multiple plugins or even the whole vm with it.
 >
 > To use the VMMaker, look on the swiki and search for 'vmmaker'.
 > Basically for your simplest case, try
 > (VMMaker default initializeInternal: #() external:#(FooPlugin))
 > generateExternalPlugins
 > Using the VMMakerTool will probably seem easier since it provides a GUI;
 >  + open the tool (world menu-> open-> VMMaker.

 My image doesn't have this choice, but I read the class comment from VMMakerTool and did: VMMakerTool openInWorld to get the GUI.

 >  + drag FooPlugin from the leftmost column of possible plugins to the
 >  right column (I'm assuming you want to make it an external plugin
 >  because to make an internal one you have to make the rest of the vm as
 >  well)

 The one I was typing in the code for and the FooPlugin2 example I found in the image don't show up in the list of available plugins, but I imagine I'll have somehow let the system know they are plugins...

 >  + press the 'generate external' button.
 >  + wait a moment.
 >  + do whatever compiler magic your machine needs.
 >
 > As you've discovered, the problem with a system that is constantly being
 > improved is that doc can get out of date.

 Oh well, at least there was something *to* get out of date :)

 So is the process:
 Build the Squeak Classes to access the plugin (primitives)
 Build the primitive classes
 Have VMMaker generate the C code
 compile and use

 ... or does VMMaker do more in terms of building the primitives ( or should I just read the wiki and quit asking questions ;)

 Thanks Tim, (and ned) for answering my questions. This definitely puts me on the right track.

 > tim
 >
 > --
 > Strange OpCodes: LINO: Last In, Never Out mode

Thanks!

Brian