release prioritization (was "ClassBuilder problem")

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Fri Feb 28 01:59:18 UTC 2003

	Colin writes:

> I think it would be worth delaying the release of 3.4 to include this
> fix. Having easy-to-install packages for Traits and Islands would be
> very beneficial. The more people can play around with and exercise
> that code, the better.

	I don't think that's a convincing rationale for inclusion in 3.4. The
3.4 release is a vehicle for SqueakMap. I think only problems which have
a catastrophic effect on a newcomer's ability to use SqueakMap should
delay 3.4.

	Ned writes (on the Foundation list):

> ...since Andreas just posted the ClassBuilder fix, I'm thinking that
> may be worth including and postponing the release by a few days for
> people to test.

	Why? (And I don't use question marks lightly in this message, since I
know they could cause more delay. :)

> Since I'm doing that, I could also perhaps include Ned's recent
> ArchiveViewer fix, since I've looked at that and its seems
> straightforward and is a somewhat important fix.

	(:

	I don't think "somewhat important" cuts it at this release stage.
Instead, I think it's better to weigh the results of leaving something
out, rather than of including it.

	My recollection of our group discussions at OOPSLA, in November 2002,
were that we would take 3.2, add SqueakMap support to it, and release it
as 3.4. It is now February 2003. This surprises me, even given our
history. :)

	I think we should release 3.4 now, and defer all outstanding available
fixes into the 3.5a stream (subject to harvester approval). In our
current situation, I think anyone likely to encounter the bugs described
recently will be able to get them easily from the update stream. In the
meantime, newcomers will have easier access to SqueakMap sooner. I think
it's time to release.

	thanks,

-C

--