File closing annoyances

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Jan 1 21:36:49 UTC 2003

I've been trying to see if I can rid the image of the obscenity known as
#readOnlyCopy with, unfortunately little luck so far. It's not so much
a problem with excising #readOnlyCopy as such as the fairly pervasive
assumption that files can be opened again and again and again.
Unfortunately it is not always true that you can open a file already
opened.

However, one place that really caught my eye whilst digging around was
the rather odd seeming close-and-reopen process whenever changes are
flushed to the changelog. This is despite the use of an explicit flush
method... (see SystemDictionary>forceChangesToDisk or similar)

Does anyone know if this oddity is still required, or why it is used?
Can it be dropped?

tim
Strange OpCodes: MW: Multiply Work