testing for image restart

Derek Brans brans at nerdonawire.com
Sat Jan 4 01:21:59 UTC 2003

Thanks for your replies.  What is the diff between snapshot vs starting
fresh?

If I'm backing up data from my image, I need to know when the image has
"quit without save" or crashed, because in that case, the backup data on
disk is probably more recent than the data in the image.

Thanks again,
Derek

On Friday, January 3, 2003, at 04:18 PM, Ned Konz wrote:

> On Friday 03 January 2003 04:12 pm, Derek Brans wrote:
>> Is there a way for the image to know when it has been restarted
>> (ie, the vm is killed and then restarted).
>
> Yes: all the classes registered with the startup list get notified by
> calling their #startUp: or #startUp method. The parameter to startUp:
> indicates whether the image is restarting after a snapshot.
>
> you do this:
>
> Smalltalk addToStartUpList: SomeClass.
>
> later the system calls:
>
> SomeClass startUp: true  (if resuming after snapshot)
> or
> SomeClass startUp: false (if starting fresh)
>
> --
> Ned Konz
> http://bike-nomad.com
> GPG key ID: BEEA7EFE

Nerd on a Wire: Web and Information Solutions
Website Design - Database Systems - Site Hosting
604.874.6463
mailto:info at nerdonawire.com
For more information, visit http://nerdonawire.com