Cuting Errors

Brian Keefer mgomes21 at cox.net
Wed Jan 8 22:44:42 UTC 2003

Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi ned
>
> What I'm trying to do is to avoid that a kid or novices get flooded
> by popup window when an error occurs. I want to have error because
> I want that they realize that they should test before doing something
> but I do not want them to get bored. In fact when if I do not succeed
> to do
> what I want I will use error: and tell them to use abandon. Because
> this is exactly
> what I want but with no button and stack displayed.
>
> Ok I will look at the handler. I never did that before do you know
> where I can find an example.
>
> Stef

If you're only interested in avoiding a notification DOS, you could keep a
custom "bump" error window under control with a global semaphore. The
"Project" dictionary seems like a decent place to hold the semaphore,
multiple projects involving your Robot should be safe from each other that
way.

MyBumpErrorMorph>>open "maybe another message earlier in my construction
would be cleaner"
Project at:#myBumpError ifNil:[
	Project at:#myBumpError put:self.
	^super open.]
ifNotNil:["update error window here" ^Project at:#myErrorWindow.]

MyErrorWindowMorph>>delete
Project at:#myBumpError put:nil