Has anyone succesfully installed squeak on RH 8.0?

Jim.Gettys at hp.com Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Thu Jan 9 13:30:32 UTC 2003

> Sender: squeak-dev-admin at lists.squeakfoundation.org
> From: Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de>
> Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 11:08:32 +0100 (CET)
> To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
> Subject: Re: Has anyone succesfully installed squeak on RH 8.0?
> -----
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, synthespian wrote:
>
> > Hello --
> >
> >  I've downloaded the rpms in order to install Squeak on a Redhat 8.0 box,
> > but the installation failed due to lack of the libffi.so.1 library. I
> > can't seem to find this package, either.
>
> As long as you do not intend to use FFI you can force the install with
> --nodeps. Otherwise, you can install libffi from a tarball first, or you
> go find a libffi source rpm.

It isn't quite this easy.

Libffi is part of the GCC toolchain, and the library itself seems to
have evaporated as part of the GCC 3.2 transition that linux (and
other platforms) have begun.  RH 8.0 is the first major Linux distro
to have undertaken the 3.2 conversion (Debian, for example, is just
starting its transition now, and I don't know where United Linux or
Mandrake are in it).  I suspect they repackaged the interface into
a different library.

So finding a source rpm for libffi isn't an option (I don't think).

Rebuilding the source RPM and having a gcc 3.2 version available
is probably the easiest way to get to rpm's for RH 8.0.

Now if I can get the hand built version to work for me (I've never
touched squeak before in my life, before yesterday).
                               - Jim

--
Jim Gettys
Cambridge Research Laboratory