[ANN] [UPDATES] Squeak 3.4gamma and Squeak 3.5alpha

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Fri Jan 10 01:25:33 UTC 2003

Friends,

The final updates for 3.4beta have now been published to the external servers.

If you now load code updates into a 3.4beta image, a dozen new
updates will come rolling in.  The last of these will offer you the
choice of carrying your image forward either to 3.4gamma or to
3.5alpha.

If you want to maintain reference images in both lines, you can start
off with two identical copies of the latest 3.4beta, and carry one of
them forward to 3.4gamma, the other to 3.5alpha.

A freshly-built version of the 3.4gamma image will be built and
placed on the main Squeak distribution site in due course.  I was
hoping to do it today, but there are some lingering obsolete-class
issues and we're still waiting for confirmation of permission to
reference a new Flash site in the "Welcome" window.

Meanwhile, "evolved" images that you create by carrying 3.4beta
images forward either to 3.4gamma or 3.5alpha will be code-identical
to their forthcoming "fresh" counterparts.

Cheers,

    -- Scott

-----------------------------

5157acornDirFixes2-tpr -- tim at sumeru.stanford.edu -- 21 December 2002
Make sure at least one sensible directory appears in
directoryContentsFor:. Only affects Acorn machines"

5158clsCommentFixes-sw -- Scott Wallace, Alejandro Magistrello -- 4
January 2003
When condensing changes, preserve not only class comments but also
their authoring stamps, for the benefit (e.g) of the
class-comment-versions browser.
Also, fixes the bug that caused an error when you tried to browse the
recent log after a condense changes but before a manual snapshot.
Also, restores the ability to file in class comments created in
VisualWorks using the #classComment: protocol.
Note that 'prior' pointers that point back both for methods and for
class comments are lost when a condenseChanges is done.  This should
be fixed someday.

5159makeSeedFix-dew -- Doug Way -- 6 January 2003
Remove the dependency of UUIDGenerator >> makeSeed on the presence of
a TimeStamp class by calling Time totalSeconds rather than TimeStamp
current asSeconds

5160morePluginTerm-JMM -- johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com -- 9 August 2002
when we run as a browser plugin we need to know when to terminate the
interp main loop. This is done by checking a flag and invoking
plugInTimeToReturn which becomes a C macro to issue the return. This
was done at on a long unconditional jump, or execution of a new
method. However in the case were Squeak is idle, and only the idle
processes is running, then the termination code will not run.
Therefore I made an additional call in internalExecuteNewMethod to do
the check after invoking a primitive. This cleaned up cases of hung
Squeak plugins under os-x"

5161ProjectArchiveFixes-nk -- Ned Konz -- 20 December 2002
My recent changes to fileName in ArchiveMember broke project loading
in non-Unix systems.
This reverts fileName so that it returns the raw Zip name, and adds
localFileName for use when you need a name that's compatible with the
local file system.

5162testRunnerInMenu-nk -- Ned Konz -- 16 December 2002
This adds the TestRunner to the World menu

5163UUIDGEnBugFix-tpr -- tim at sumeru.stanford.edu -- 20 December 2002
Update 5150 tried to fix UUIDGEnerator's use of random seeding but
used the wrong way of coping with the lack of /dev/urandom (which
only appears to exist on a few unix platforms). Instead of
#ifCurtailed:  this patch uses [] on: FileStreamException do:[] which
will trap any file related problem such as the file not existing or
being unreadable. Maybe it will be good enough to help for now.

5164VMMakerNicer-nk -- Ned Konz -- 16 December 2002
VMMaker had a nasty habit of scrolling its plugin lists back to 0
upon selection.
This fixes that problem.
Also, it adds an open item for VMMakerTool in the WorldMenu.

5165vmParameterTo25-JMM

5166weakMsgSendFixes-nk -- Ned Konz, Rob Withers -- 30 December 2002
CS 5005u16-Events introduced a call to a method
isReceiverOrAnyArgumentGarbage in Object>>actionSequence that was
only understood (much later, after CS 5155WeakMessageSend2-nk-rw) by
WeakMessageSends and WeakActionSequences.
Unfortunately, if you had an ActionSequence or a MessageSend around
in an action map, this would break, as they don't understand
isReceiverOrAnyArgumentGarbage.
I removed this call from the methods in Object so that any action
maps that can answer asMinimalRepresentation will work.
This includes:
ActionSequence, WeakActionSequence, MessageSend (added), and WeakMessageSend.

5167serverDirFix-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 7 January 2003
Fixes error seen when changing sort order in a file list for a server
directory that had no file selected

5168advanceVersion-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 7 January 2003
This is the last update for version 3.4beta.  In its postscript is an
executable statement that will set the version forward either to
3.4gamma or to 3.5alpha, at user option.