Has anyone succesfully installed squeak on RH 8.0?

Jim.Gettys at hp.com Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Fri Jan 10 14:45:49 UTC 2003

> Another interesting name on the list. Your _X_Window_System_ (Scheifler &
> Gettys) is on the bookshelf near at hand.

Thanks.  I'm here having been impressed by a talk Alan Kay gave us here
recently on Squeak, and having a bright almost 8 year old, to see if it
is something she might enjoy.

I joined the list as I was having trouble installing on RH8.0 (I haven't
had time to really get things going even so yet, preparing for a talk
I have to give today).

I do note that (in 3.2) the X port needs work to take advantage
of new X technologies (e.g. Xft2, fontconfig); Squeak 3.2 is ugly
relative to up to date X applications (that do high quality fonts and
AA imaging for flat panels).  If someone is interested, I'd
be happy to point them in the right direction, as in the short term
I'm mostly here as a user trying to get Squeak installed and running
on Linux.

                          - Jim

--
Jim Gettys