Voxel graphics with Morphs/Balloon3D

Merik Voswinkel buurtnet at cistron.nl
Tue Jan 14 23:39:56 UTC 2003

On zaterdag, jan 11, 2003, at 16:24 Europe/Amsterdam, Hans Nikolaus
Beck wrote:

> I need help from some graphics guru, because I've very poor expericene
> with graphics/morphs and Squeak (or Croquet) :-)  which ist the best
> way the implement a Morph which could visualize a voxel space? Or is
> something like this already available ?

You answered it, Croquet. But you will have to implement the object
structure for the a voxel space first. A toolbox of methods to fill a
space, give voxels behavior through calculations or representations.

> There a some sub questions:
> - efficient way of storing data: a variant of a (multidimensional)
> Array class, or something else ?

I would class this as less relevant at first, finally it will be
crucial. So don't bother about it's memory footprint now (up to 500MB,
a few gigabytes an the next year). But when you now how you want things
represented and actually used it, start thinking about efficient
storage only
A general Morp(Squeak) hand Croquet approach to base your first mental
model and first demo on.

> - graphics:  does  balloon provide any help this or is there another
> option to do graphics?

There has been some discussion before, i'll start looking through the
180MB maillist archive.
I remember that there is no real issue here.

> - using Squeak or Croquet (may be croquet suits better for such
> requirements)?

A general Morph(Squeak) and Croquet (Squeak) approach to base your
first mental model and first demo on.
Croquet is the obvious place to visualize voxel spaces.

Merik Voswinkel

Buurtnet
Oldambt 69
3524 BD Utrecht