building a Squeak CDrom

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Thu Jan 16 09:04:36 UTC 2003

Hi,

I'm putting together a Squeak CDROM. This CD will be available
as a free download (.iso image). And it will be possible to buy
this starting at $10, worldwide shipping.

We experimented with a combination of kagi.com (international
Payment+Shop) and SwiftCD (CD Production / Shipping) for the
ESUG Smalltalk CD. This turned out to work great, it's fully
automatic and reasonably fast.

See http://www.ira.uka.de/~marcus/EsugcD.html for more onfo
on the ESUG CD, the KAGI Shop is at
http://order.kagi.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?storeID=P2C&&

For those interested, the costs for a CD are:

   -> $1.75 Kagi.com  (transaction fee for $10)
   -> $6.29 SwiftCD.com
   -> $0.60 US or $1.60 europe+asia (shipping).
     ----------------------
      $8.64 - 9.64

So we making a stunning profit of $0.36/$1.36 per CD sold. This
money will go to Squeak Germany e.V.i.Gr., which is a german based
non-profit association.

So, the question is: What would you like to have on such a CD?
For the first version, I plan to add:

 -> The Squeak 3.2 directory of the FTP-Server (100MB)
 -> Squeak 3.4gamma (10MB)
 -> The Mailinglist Archives (180 MB)
 -> Some Documentation (e.g. nuBlue PDFs) (30MB)
 -> Squeakland Plugins (40MB)
 -> Croquet0.1 (90MB)
          ------------------------
                  450MB

anything else?

Please send me a private Mail if you have an idea for other
stuff to put on the CD.

A later version of the CD should contain a complete mirror of
SqueakMap, nicely installable from the SqueakMap-Browser. I need
to look at SqueakMap how to do this...

I plan to build the CD next weekend, so it should be available from
SwiftCD starting next week.

   Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeak.de