memory allocation on commandline

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Jan 19 12:37:15 UTC 2003

Tim,

> It's wierd; my code and the variable names I used clearly
> imply the idea of headroom rather than total room, but the oldest
> sources I have only go back to 2.6 and that is indeed a total-room
> setup. Am I imagining things? Could be... too many cups of tea can do
> that to you. I can easily make it so that it works 'my' way on Acorns
> but I am interested in how people feel it ought to work as well.

I don't care the least bit. I have effectively disabled -memory: on Windows
for some time now and I have not heard a single complaint - to me this means
people really don't care about controlling the amount of memory. So anyone
who is interested in this matter should discuss it - I am definitely not ;-)

<afterthought>
The only sensible use for -memory on Windows would be to deliberately limit
the amount of memory for stress testing a Squeak system and how it would
behave under certain limited memory conditions. In this case it would
*probably* make more sense to specify it as an "overall amount" like on
pre-OSX Macs.
</afterthought>

Cheers,
  - Andreas