memory allocation on commandline

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Jan 19 14:28:53 UTC 2003

John,

> Andreas, when did the Windows VM stop looking at the -memory
> switch? Was it before the 3.2 VM?

Essentially at the point where the support for growing/shrinking of the OM
was added (I think this was before 3.2 but I'm not sure). Ever since then
the VM has effecticely ignored what you say in -memory (not literally - but
after the first full GC the system is back to where it would be if you had
omitted -memory). I believe you can still get -memory to have an effect if
you turn off virtual memory management in the VM at which point it will just
malloc() the portion requested. But I haven't even tried this in ages.

Cheers,
  - Andreas