[e-lang] [RFP] cross-language object serialization (E <---> Squeak-E)

Robert Withers rwithers12 at attbi.com
Sun Jan 19 23:55:13 UTC 2003

It looks like squeak's mailing list server is down for the count at the
moment.  Mail is getting through, but all the mail sent earlier this
weekend hasn't made it out of triage, yet.  This includes our three
messages in this thread, unfortunately.

On Saturday, January 18, 2003, at 04:06 PM, Tyler Close wrote:

> On Saturday 18 January 2003 16:30, Robert Withers wrote:
>> [I am cross-posting to both lists]
>>
>> Last night, I successfully established a negotiated connection between
>> an E Vat and a Squeak-E Vat.
>
> Congratulations!

thank you (and David and Anthony)!  I am very happy to have gotten this
to work.

> I believe interoperation will be the key to
> deploying capabilities.

we agree.  It would be very nice to be able to integrate into a bank's
existing systems, for instance.

Thanks for the link to WOS and doc-code, and where it is feature-wise.
I am reading your site and letting it gestate, and giving some others a
chance to comment on this, at this early stage.   WOS looks very
interesting and very similar with the features CDR offers.   The
difficulty with any of them is that you need a way to specify and
disseminate novel types.    Can the client propagate types to the
server in some way?  can the two peers negotiate the types?

The answer to how we want to do this will dictate and determine the
solution, I think.  We definitely need a way to manage shape changes in
the types.  (ugh - not looking forward to that problem)

Given the right support for negotiating protocol, we should be able to
support a variety of encodings.   this will allow for evolution of
protocols.

cheers,
rob