[Enh] [Star Browser] [Jacaranda] [Connectors] PreliminaryJacaranda/Connectors in Star Browser support

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed Jan 22 08:52:55 UTC 2003

Daniel Vainsencher <danielv at netvision.net.il> wrote:
> Hi Ken.
>
> (for some reason, I'm getting all your mails twice. Could you please
> look into that?)
>
> Your question is really not about SB specifically, it's about how
> packages with multiple dependencies are managed. And I'll split it in
> two -
> * How should we package such code?
> * How do we make the system smart enough to handle these dependencies
> correctly?
>
> First, as you're quite aware, nothing is yet complete that provides a
> complete solution to this problem. Second, if you want a pointer to one
> of Goran's inspirations when thinking of these issues (and mine too),
> see www.debian.org. This is a linux distribution that's actually a
> distributed project, handling >8000 packages on 11 architectures, that's
> solved such problems as depedencies, libraries, multiple versions,
> replacement of kernels.... it's a different situation, but we've
> certainly alot to learn from it.

Yep. Even though the plan in my head is a bit different - hopefully more
tailored for Squeak. But Debian really sets the "standard" in this area
IMHO.

> Now to your questions. Goran will probably answer soon, explaining about
> SM1.1, which should add package versions. These and some other

I am pressed for time right now - I will have to decline. But I have
written about it on this list before - probably intermingled with the
strings "SM" and "1.1" and "package releases" etc.

> enhancements should allow us to implement various tools on top of the SM
> catalog, including tools that deal with dependencies. Some ideas about
> how these should work have already been proposed, and I'm sure we'll see
> some nice solutions come up after 1.1 is out.
>
> Also as Ned said, the image is not a perfect unit of persistency. SM
> allows you to install a list a of packages quite easily, so that
> recreating your desired image with different installed packages is
> something that can be automated into convinience..

Right.

Sorry for not having gotten SM1.1 out the door etc. - unfortunately
(depending on how you look at it of course) I am currently hacking cool
geometry/swarm intelligence algorithms in Dolphin for a customer and
that is a fixed price job with a deadline coming up awfully fast...

SM1.1 is on hold right now, *but*... if someone is really itching to
help out in the land of "Squeak artefact distributions mechanisms" (or
whatever this area can be called) then the new harvesting tool that
Doug, me and Luciano are planning should be a workable project.

We intend to base it on the current SM code (reuse the simple
distribution model and pesistency mechanism, UIs etc) but it is a
completely separate tool that is about update streams per package, bug
reports, harvesting process etc.

regards, Göran