squeakland plugin and os-x safari

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Jan 24 02:23:25 UTC 2003

Both IE, and Safari as far as I know want to load and talk to a CFM
plugin. Really doing
the CFM plugin was the easy part, it just finds and load the mach-o
bundle squeak VM plugin
and resolve all the netscape plugin entry points in the mach-o plugin
then redirect further calls to the mach-o plugin. (sadly safari has a
bug or two and resolve entrypoints at call time for some procedures,
versus
using the handy supplied list of entrypoints for the plugin that was
setup at initialization time).

I was surprised to see, or at least I couldn't convince Safari to load
a mach-o bundle directly.
However having the backward portability to IE makes things way easier
to debug I might add.

On Thursday, January 23, 2003, at 06:12  PM, tblanchard at mac.com wrote:

> Sounds like a lot of work.  Is it necessary to go to this length?
> CFM is a legacy technology, likely to be abandoned at the earliest
> opportunity.
> I guess this helps with IE, but it seems to me that pre OS X support
> isn't worth expending a lot of effort.
> I'd think just doing a framework or bundle would be the ticket.
> Or am I missing something?
>
> On Friday, January 24, 2003, at 02:53  AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> Well I've been busy thinking about this, debugging etc. Alas no-one
>> beat my door down wanting a copy.
>>
>> However what I've done is built a CFM stub to load and call a mach-o
>> plugin. --
===