Unicode String

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Fri Jan 24 08:07:05 UTC 2003

  Hello,

> Squeak does not support Unicode and I think, that we will need a lot
> of time to add Unicode to Squeak. Even support for the simpler
> parts of Unicode is not a simple thing. (You may be surprised to
> read that a lot of scripts are more difficult to support than Chinese.
> The problem with Chinese is merely the enormous number of
> characters. For indic scripts we need a very sophisticated
> rendering algorithm, for arabic we have to handle
> bidirectionality and presentation forms and and and ... )
> For some time I planned to add Unicode support to Squeak,
> but i have to confess that this is a project that would take
> years.

  The version I'm working on is *supposed to be* able to handle the
R2L and "sophisticated" ligature in certain scripts by the end of
Feburary.  The code point in this version is more or less based on
Unicode with encoding tags.

> Yoshiki Ohshima implemented support for CJK
> scripts. You should really look at this page:
>
> http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/squeak-multilingual-e.html
>
> There you find support for Japanese and optionally for Chinese and
> Korean. The code is for Squeak 2.8. I do not know about a port
> to newer versions of Squeak.

  This web page is so out-dated.  A Japanese version based on Squeak
3.2 is already released and I'm continued to work on the other
scripts.

-- Yoshiki