*****SPAM***** Re: Cryptography 0.2

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Tue Jan 28 16:44:31 UTC 2003

Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:

> Nevin Pratt wrote:
>
>> Incidentally, I have my system configured to automatically dump
>> spam-tagged emails to the trash.  Others may be doing this also.  I
>> happened to see this  before empting the trash.
>>
>> Nevin
>

> Nevin,
> you should really check your setup.
> Alejandro is from Argentina, and due to the many badly configured
> machines there (and the often slow or non-existant reaction by network
> admins) it is reasonable for someone who does not expect mail from
> Argentina to dump it. But Alejandro most likely can't do something
> about it.
> Given the lively Squeak community in Argentina (especially considering
> their bad economic situation) I think it is reasonable for us
> Squeakers to treat them well.

Yes, it is *more* than reasonable to treat them well.  I'm very glad
they are here.

All-in-all, SpamAssassin does a very good job for me, and I'm quite
pleased with it (it is running on my mail server, which is a FreeBSD
box).  Once I know a particular address that SpamAssassin is tagging,
and I don't want it tagged, I can of course add that domain (or just the
individual email address if I want) to my white list.

But I thought it would be useful to him to know what SpamAssassin by
default thinks of his emails.

Incidentally, for general web access, I also run DansGuardian, Squid,
and SquidGuard.  My internal network (of 7 machines) is configured so
that *all* internal traffic to or from the internet *must* go through
the FreeBSD box, and it monitors the traffic and traffic content.  I
also have yet another filter on a hardware router that everything must
go through on the internet side of the FreeBSD box-- it was my original
filter before I set the FreeBSD box up, and I just left it in place.
 And, everything is configured for safe access by small children (I have
9 kids, from ages 1 to 13).

I joke with my wife that we should hang a bank of modems on the FreeBSD
machine, and then add some more phone lines, and sell "safe" internet
access to our community.  And actually, I'm only half-way joking :-)

Nevin