Comments on Lex's "Object as Capabilities in Squeak"

Mark S. Miller markm at caplet.com
Thu Jan 30 17:15:17 UTC 2003

At 02:51 AM 1/30/2003 Thursday, cg at cdegroot.com wrote:
>Every object that wants to do something with the UI needs to go directly
>or indirectly to World.

When would an object do this without being passed or holding some other ui
object that gives it context? A button doesn't draw on the screen, it draws
within some containing thing, etc, recursively. At least this is how it
works in every ui toolkit I'm familiar with (including AWT, Swing, SWT).
Could you give an example that I could understand without learning Morphic?
Thanks.