UIUC updates access removed (was Re: Trouble getting updates w/o Squeak)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Jul 1 16:45:00 UTC 2003

Jazzmynn wrote:

> It seems that I used to be able to access the updates via FTP
> (ftp://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/updates/), but the last time this worked was
> 2003-06-14 (change set 5269), and hasn't worked since.

This confirms something that I've suspected.  It seems that we no longer
have anonymous ftp access to the updates portion of the UIUC site for
some reason.  For example, go to ftp://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu in a browser
and try to click on the "Squeak" link.  The other areas ("Smalltalk")
which have the release builds etc still work.  Also, my admin account
still seems to work, it's just anonymous logins that don't.

This explains why people have been having trouble updating 3.5 images,
because we also changed the backup updates server after that (from
squeaklet.com to squeakfoundation.org).  Fortunately the European
updates site still works.

Anyway, does anyone have a contact for a UIUC admin that I could ask
about this?

- Doug Way