Windows VM memory allocation?

Wesley Sale flenser at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 2 00:35:38 UTC 2003

At 08:09 PM 7/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>I have 512Mb memory installed in a Windows ME system.
>
>On Windows, I fill a Squeak image with lots of data, and save it in a
>230Mb image.
>
>On Linux, I can load this image with no problem. On Windows ME on the
>same machine, I cannot load the image. I tried loading it on another
>computer with Win2K and 1Gb memory, and get the same result.
>
>On my Windows ME system, the system monitor shows 366Mb physical memory
>unused before running Squeak. The system monitor show Squeak VM grabbing
>all but approx 130Mb of physical memory when it runs (plenty left).
>
>On Windows ME or Windows 2K, Squeak dies with the following console
>output:
>

>out of memory
>
>503143432 SystemDictionary>snapshot:andQuit:embedded:
>503143340 SystemDictionary>snapshot:andQuit:
>503143248 TheWorldMenu>saveAndQuit
>503143156 TheWorldMenu>doMenuItem:with:
>503143064 [] in MenuItemMorph>invokeWithEvent:
>503142972 BlockContext>ensure:
>503142880 Cursor>showWhile:
>503142564 MenuItemMorph>invokeWithEvent:
>503142468 MenuItemMorph>mouseUp:
>503142376 MenuItemMorph>handleMouseUp:
>503142112 MouseButtonEvent>sentTo:
>503142020 Morph>handleEvent:
>
><remaining stack dump snipped>
>

>Anybody know what's going on here? I tried running the Windows VM
>with the "-memory:350" command line parameter, as well as with no
>command line parameter, and get the same results regardless. I must
>be missing something obvious.
>
>Thanks,
>Dave

Don't know why win2000 might be causing trouble but there's a nasty memory
problem in windows ME, that is causing you trouble.  Have heard that
there's no way to patch ME without breaking a lot of prebuilt software out
there already.  Any big application using lots of memory is going to have
problems running on ME.

Wish there were an easy answer to your problem, I'm switching over to Linux
for all my important or big applications; like squeak and the hercules
emulator.

Wes