Alan Kay interview in HP Business View

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 2 03:10:00 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 10:54:55PM -0400, Jeff Szuhay wrote:
> Fekk, also in a proprietary format -- RealPlayer.
>
> What ever happened to common/open data formats?

I'm going to make a leap, and conclude from this and your other recent
post that you belive that Quicktime is an example of such a
common/open data format.  I beg to differ; try playing a Quicktime
file on Linux without a proprietary, closed-source plugin.  Fekk.

The Quicktime container format may be open, but the commonly used
codecs are certainly not.

Hopefully Ogg Theora (www.theora.org) will be as nice as Vorbis,
and we will have a truly free alternative for video encoding and
playback.

Joshua