Alan Kay interview in HP Business View

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Wed Jul 2 04:44:35 UTC 2003

Tim Rowledge wrote:

>Jeff Szuhay <jeff at szuhay.org> wrote:
>

>>    When governments fear the people there is liberty.
>>    When the people fear the government there is tyranny.
>>      --Thomas Jefferson,
>>        third US president, architect and author (1743-1826)
>>

>Actually, what you tend to see is that when governments fear the people
>there is repression. Just consider most schools, workplaces, and indeed
>nations.
>
>tim
>--
>Tim Rowledge, tim at sumeru.stanford.edu, http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim
>Useful Latin Phrases:- Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare = I
>think some people in togas are plotting against me.

Actually I would read Thomas Jefferson's remarks more like this:

   When governments fear the people, it is because the people have
liberty ("there exists liberty").
   When people fear the government, it is because the government is
tyranical ("there exists tyranny").

Jefferson's words were necessarily taken out of a larger context that I
believe would have revealed his true intent behind them if the entire
context was present.  But that's just my opinion.

Nevin

--
Nevin Pratt
Bountiful Baby