Does the SUNIT package play well with the TestRunner Enhancements package?

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Wed Jul 2 07:39:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 12:52:20PM -0400, Brent Vukmer wrote:
> Are there any plans to fold the TRE package into the SUnit package?

I discusse this with Joseph some time ago, and we came to the conclusion
that the SUnit-package on SqueakMap is intended to be an completely clean,
unmodified and not in anyway changed official SUNIT. So there will
be *no* additions to that at all, besides updating to 3.2 when it
will be released.

So there are two things that can be done:

1) Additions to SUNIT can be submitted to the SUNIT maintainer. Than
   it will be decided if the enh will be added to the release. Here
   you should know that SUNIT works on *lots* of different smalltalks,
   and only features that can be implemented on those will be added.
   So getting anything added can be a lot of work. There is a
   "Enhancement Requests" page on http://sunit.sourceforge.net/

2) SUnit add-ons. We shouldn't view SUnit is not only as a framework
   for implementig tests, but as a framework for implementig SUNIT based
   tools and addons. The base SUNIT will stay lean, mean and portable,
   and all the cool stuff can be shipped as SUNit extensions.
   Add-ons should be implementable without changes to the SUnit core.

We want to ship SUNIT (but no tests) with the larger images. We can, of
course, then decide to build on top of that and include some extensions
(like Ned's TestRunner, and SUnit browser). So the somewhat strict policy
with SUnit will not harm us in any way, but it will help us to share
alle work done on the SUnit base with the whole smalltalk community.

   Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeak.de