Squeak and I18N

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Wed Jul 2 18:13:17 UTC 2003

  Hello,

> On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 05:09:43PM +0200, Marcus Denker wrote:
> > 1) Coordination of the translation efforts.
> >    I was thinking aboyt setting up a wiki page. This would, for
> >    now, just contain the short howto I sent to you and all
> >    open questions.
> >
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3282

  Thank you Marcus.  The input mechanism has to be revisited.  The
subclasses of LanguageEnvironment and the subclasses of EncodedCharSet
have to have more methods that would be called from Sensor to handle
the input characters properly.  Sensor should consult the value of
"Smalltalk primaryLanguage" and do the right conversion.

  I anticipate the future VMs will give the image latin-1/unicode
characters.  If this happens such VM should have a primitive that
tells the image what encoding the image should expect so that the
image can set the converter accordingly.

  I definitely should integrate the translation table for the other
languages.  For now, we can go ahead and update the SqueakMap package.

-- Yoshiki